Each summer, Englands LGBTQ+ identifying people and allies come together to celebrate queer empowerment throughout the country. Thousands gather in London, Brighton and Manchester for the UKs biggest Pride events however, Brighton Pride Festival in August is arguably the nations favourite.
So, what makes Brighton Pride so special?
Brighton Pride is one of the most popular pride festivals throughout the UK, and many peoples favourite pride celebration. The city is known as the gay capital of England, and it is even considered to be one of the best pride festivals in the world. People travel from all around the globe just to attend Brighton Pride.
Aside from its popularity, this festival brings many acclaimed and internationally recognised performers for Pride in the Park. Preston Park has hosted acts such as Britney Spears, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Pet Shop Boys as part of the festival. Brighton Pride focuses just as much on inclusivity and activism as entertainment. Fundraising for the festival supports The Brighton Rainbow Fund, the Pride Social Impact Fund, and the Pride Cultural Development Fund.
With both culture and activism alive and thriving every year at the August festival, Brighton Pride is one of the most exciting, vibrant, and diverse pride festivals in the world.
What to Know About Brighton Pride Weekend
Every year, the festival takes place early- to mid-August (check this years dateshere.) No matter where youre arriving from, heres everything you need to know before setting foot in Brighton for Pride.
Unlike other festivals, Brighton Pride is not just one ticketed event. There are many individual experiences to check out! Here are the highlights for 2019 you dont want to miss out on:
- Brighton Pride Community Paradehappens on the Saturday morning every year, where locals and visitors alike can apply to join the parade or bring a float. Expect colourful costumes, loud music and loads of fun. Watching the Parade is free! Turn up early to secure a good spot!
- Pride in the Park, held on the Saturday, annually brings international artists for an eclectic music festival in Preston Park. Individual tickets for the event will be needed, and price varies each year. With past performers including Britney Spears, and Kylie announced for 2019, this event isnt to be missed.
- LoveBN1Festis a family friendly all-day-Sunday festival focusing on the Brighton and Hove communities and all they have to offer. Expect amazing food, vendors, and main stage performers Chic were the headliners in 2018. Children 12 and under go free, whereas adults will need a ticket. Punters can buy Pride in the Park and LoveBN1Fest tickets as a bundle for a discount.
- Pride Village Party, held on St. Jamess Street, is another renowned ticketed event held each year with events, music and entertainment happening all day and night! The event raises money for the Rainbow Fund.
Where to Stay
There are many options for accommodations throughout Brighton and Hove for Pride Weekend. Keep in mind that the sooner you book, the better. Pride is the citys busiest weekend. With so many international travellers entering Brighton, reservations go fast.
- Pride Campsite:A popular choice for young adults, the Pride Campsite is available for groups to camp together under the Brighton stars. This is one of the least expensive and most fun options. You get to camp out with your friends while still close to the city and amenities. For around 15 per night (varying year-on-year), admission includes transportation to the festival grounds. On-site catering is even included.
- Hilton Brighton Metropole:This historic hotel is a popular destination for festival attendees. Overlooking the ocean, this hotel offers balcony guest rooms with a great view of the parade below.
- Legends Hotel:This gay-friendly hotel is also located on the seafront. Its in close distance to the festival grounds, as well as nearby nightlife in Brighton. The views from this hotel are picturesque, but hurry, as reservations run out quickly.
- Kipps Hostel:This hostel offers clean and affordable rooms with an ideal location near the Brighton Pier.
- Airbnb:Local renters anticipate making space for the influx of tourists heading to Brighton each August. Many options will be located on the ocean boulevard and near to the festival grounds.
What Else to Do in Brighton
Once the festival ends at night, youre going to want to know where the party is heading after hours. Or perhaps youre eager to extend your stay to make time to explore Brightons attractions.
- Brighton Pier:This famous beachside boardwalk brings fun for the whole family. Its a perfect spot for a leisurely break from the festival schedule. Hop on the many rides or grab a famous Brighton stick-of-rock!
- The Basement Club:Brighton is home to many gay bars and clubs, but one of the most unique experiences youll find is The Basement Club. Located below the famous Legends Bar and Hotel, this underground neon-lit club is where everyone will be dancing after the festivities.
Check out our list ofthings to do in Brightonfor more suggestions!
How to Get There
Most travellers arrive from London, either as London locals or as tourists from the citys airports. Without your own car, it's easy to rent one from either of the capitals biggest airports,London Heathrow airportorLondon Gatwick airport.
It will cost money to take any transportation to Brighton from London, so you might as well have a car in Brighton that will make getting around much more convenient. The distance from London to Brighton is only about an hour with a painless drive through England to the coast.
Where to Park My Rental Car
If your hotel doesnt have a car park, there are many streets and garages with parking available near the festival. Arriving to the festival early is encouraged to get a spot easily Brighton isnt known for its abundance of car parking spaces!
Brighton Centre Russell Road and Brighton Theatre have parking available for pre-booking. These spots are close to the pier, but walking distance to the festival. However, plan for a brief walk into the city to get to Pride.
Other Travel Options:
Buses:Take aNational Express coachfrom London Victoria, Heathrow, Gatwick and other locations. National Express coaches run from other cities like Southampton, Portsmouth and even Manchester if you change in London.
Ferry:If youre travelling from France, the Newhaven Dieppe ferry is the most scenic way to travel to Brighton Pride!
No matter how you get there, where you stay, or what you do, Brighton Pride offers enough culture and excitement for the entire Pride season! Remember: the sooner you book, the better this is the UKs most popular Pride event!