- Over 650,000 successful rentals
- Compare over 50 suppliers
- We don’t add a penny to your quotes
Hochst is a district of the German city of Frankfurt am Main. In 1928 Hochst, which was still under the 1919-1930 French occupation, became part of Frankfurt. It is located 10 km west of Frankfurt city on the north side of the River Main. Hochst is an old historical town, it has had special town privileges since 1355.These were granted to certain European cities by a monarch and usually related to matters such as trade and the establishment of guilds. Today it is the most important subcentre in the western district of Frankfurt, being the centre of the administrational district of Frankfurt-West. Hochst is probably best known as the home of the chemical and pharmaceutical company Hoeschst AG, created in 1863.
Hochst is also well known for its folklore festival, the Hochster Schlossfest (Castle Festival). This important cultural event has been held in Hochst since 1957 and attracts tourists from all over the world. It starts in the middle of June and lasts for four weeks. The festival includes music, theatre, comedy, art and sporting events. The main highlights are a street parade, the old town festival and the riverside celebrations. On the final evening there is a huge firework display. Visitors can also take a stroll along the river bank of the Main, referred to as the Batterie', in Hochst and enjoy a coffee in a caf on one of the boats moored on the Main. From Hochst the city of Frankfurt and its many attractions are a short ten-minute train ride away. Frankfurt city is regarded as Germany's financial capital and the city is home to the European Central Bank, the German Federal Reserve Bank and the Frankfurt stock exchange.
The city of Frankfurt is not just a financial hub; it also has many tourist attractions. Saint Katherine's Cathedral is the largest evangelical church in Frankfurt and is located near the entrance to the Zeil shopping centre. The Alte Opera is the most famous Opera house in Germany. It was badly damaged in the Second World War, but has been renovated and was reopened in 1981.